The overall aim of the programme is to give graduates from a wide range of backgrounds in the arts and social sciences a sound grounding in the skills they need to embark on a career in management and business, especially as they apply to questions of human resources and the increasingly important field of knowledge management.
- To provide students with a foundation in Business in general, and in Human Resource Management in particular.
- To provide a thorough study in Human Resource Management, for students who want careers in the Human Resource Management professions.
- To center attention directly on the skills and knowledge required by the profession of Human Resource Management and to help students acquire knowledge and develop skills in a systematic way.
- To provide students with the problem-solving skills and tools needed to begin careers enjoying opportunities for advancement to leadership positions either in business in general or in Human Resource Management in particular.
- To equip graduates with a solid academic, technical, and intellectual background that will enable them to continue their education in high-quality graduate and professional schools.
The detailed objectives of the programme are to:
- develop an understanding of concepts and theories in the areas of human resource management and knowledge management;
- help students prepare effectively, through broadening their understanding, for a management career as a specialist in the above fields;
- develop a sound knowledge of basic concepts in organisation studies and to adopt a critical orientation towards this;
- bring out an appreciation of the need for innovative thinking in all areas but especially in understanding organisational theory and its application to contemporary technical and organisational change;
- develop and demonstrate analytical thinking and diagnostic ability applied to particular cases of technical and organisational change;
- develop the ability to write cogently and persuasively about organisational issues;
- Provide a sound basis for further professional development in the future or educational development at higher levels of learning.